Welcome to the TVMOBiLi DLNA Media Server Support Wiki
TVMOBiLi is UPnP/DLNA Media Server for Windows, Mac, and Linux Operating Systems. It also runs on OEM embedded devices such as NAS boxes and other small devices that run Linux.
This wiki is dedicated to providing you with all the information that you need to get you up and running.
- 1 About DLNA
- 2 Getting Started
- 3 Configuration
- 3.1 How do I register my installation?
- 3.2 How do I change my owner email address?
- 3.3 How do I save my DVDs/Blu-Rays etc on my computer?
- 3.4 How do I change my password?
- 3.5 How do I change the cache folder?
- 3.6 How do I add/remove folders of media files?
- 3.7 How do I get TVMOBiLi to differentiate between movies and TV Shows?
- 3.8 How do I get TVMOBiLi to stream from my external hard drive/Network Attached Storage (NAS)?
- 3.9 How do I access TVMOBiLi from outside my home?
- 3.10 How do I share my media amongst my friends and family?
- 3.11 How do I start/stop TVMOBiLi?
- 4 Troubleshooting
- 4.1 I have forgotten my password how can I get it back?
- 4.2 I can not log in using the username/password I used to register when I purchased TVMOBILI?
- 4.3 I've bought a new computer can I transfer my licence?
- 4.4 My TV/Media Player can not connect to TVMOBiLi
- 4.5 The Plug-ins tab shows missing plugins
- 4.6 Stuttering Playback
- 4.7 My Connection Keeps Dropping / TVMOBiLi Becomes Undiscoverable
- 4.8 Unsynchronised Audio/Video
- 4.9 TVMOBiLi No Longer Visible
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
What is DLNA?
The Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) is a non-profit collaborative trade organization established by Sony in June 2003, that is responsible for defining interoperability guidelines to enable sharing of digital media between multimedia devices.
What is the difference between DLNA and UPnP?
As far as TVMOBiLi is concerned DLNA and UPnP are the same. In reality DLNA is a subset of the UPnP standard specifically targetted to digital media.
Why do I need a DLNA server?
As we as consumers increasingly buy music and/or movies online and store them in either the 'cloud' or on our computers we need a mechanism by which we can play them back within our home. DLNA is that mechanism. By installing a DLNA server on your computer any media files (music, movies, photos etc) can be streamed around your home from that computer to your playback device. This is the function TVMOBiLi fulfils.
TVMOBiLi Administration Interface (WebUI)
Once TVMOBiLi is installed on your computer, open your Web Browser to connect to the TVMOBiLi web based administration interface (WebUI) to complete the installation. The easiest way to connect to it is from the TVMOBiLi server adminstration page and clicking the 'Manage' button next to your installation. Alternatively, you can type the TVMOBiLi URI directly into your web browsers address bar.
If this is the first time you have used TVMOBiLi then you will now be guided through the simple setup process.
How do I register my installation?
Click 'Set Owner' on the top right of the TVMOBiLi WebUI to register your installation of TVMOBiLi. Registering records an email address against your installation which makes it much simpler for us to support you if you run into problems. Secondly, the email address and password are used to authenticate access to your installation from outside your home.
Passwords are stored encrypted in the TVMOBiLi database so no-one will ever know what you use.
If you have already registered with TVMOBiLi you do not need to go through the registration process again, just use the email address you have already registered with to set ownership.
How do I change my owner email address?
Hover over your email address displayed on the top right of the TVMOBiLi WebUI and a popup menu will appear. Click on 'Clear Owner' and the email address will be removed and replaced with the text 'Set Owner'. Click on Set Owner and type in the new email address and password.
How do I save my DVDs/Blu-Rays etc on my computer?
See the FAQ for information on how to do this.
How do I change my password?
Hover over your email address displayed on the top right of the TVMOBiLi WebUI and a popup menu will appear. Click on 'Change Password' and a new dialog will appear allowing you to change your password.
How do I change the cache folder?
TVMOBiLi uses a temporary cache folder during transcoding and will cap the maximum size of this folder to 20GB (Movies are big things). If the partition on your hard disk is small where TVMOBiLi is installed, it may be desirable to change the location of the folder to exist on a disk with much more space. Here is how you change the cache folder.
1) Edit the config file (See elsewhere on this site about config file editing). 2) Add the following line to the config file.
CacheRoot=<full path to folder where you want to store the cache>
Will make TVMOBiLi use the above folder instead of the default cache location.
This works for all Operating Systems, even though the example uses Windows path naming.
3) Save the file and restart your computer.
How do I add/remove folders of media files?
Open the TVMOBiLi WebUI and click on the 'Settings' tab. Scroll to the 'My Folders' pane, click 'Add' and a popup will appear allowing you to navigate to the folder containing media that you want to stream through TVMOBiLi. Select the folder and if you want to, put a more friendly name in the description - this will be the name that the folder will appear as within TVMOBiLi. Click OK to add the folder and for TVMOBiLi to begin cataloging it.
How do I get TVMOBiLi to differentiate between movies and TV Shows?
TVMOBiLi will automatically separate out TV Shows from Movies if the name of the media file has the season and episode encoded into it. The Season and episode information MUST come after either a '-', '_', '.' OR a whitespace character and can be in any of the following formats:
Both meaning season 4 episode 8.
In addition, the Season and Episode information can optionally be followed by a title either immediately or delimited by another '-':
So for example, the whole media file may be titled in any of the following ways:
- Breaking Bad-S004E008Hermanos.mkv
- Breaking Bad.S4E8-Hermanos.mkv
How do I get TVMOBiLi to stream from my external hard drive/Network Attached Storage (NAS)?
How do I access TVMOBiLi from outside my home?
First make sure you have enabled access to your media from outside your home. Open the TVMOBiLi WebUI and click on the 'Settings' tab. Scroll to the 'My Friends' pane, click 'Add' and a popup will appear allowing you to enter the email address of the friend you wish to share your media with. Click OK. Once your friends TVMOBiLi installation next synchronizes with the TVMOBiLi server, it will display your media collection along with their own.
Sharing media does NOT mean that it is copied to your friends computer, at no point does your media EVER leave your control or your computer, your friend is simply allowed to stream your media files to his/her home for playback. You are free to cancel this arrangement at any time by clicking on 'delete' next to your friends email address.
How do I start/stop TVMOBiLi?
I have forgotten my password how can I get it back?
Hover the mouse pointer over your username in the top right of the web UI and a popup should appear.
I can not log in using the username/password I used to register when I purchased TVMOBILI?
This is because there are 2 separate systems involved here; the payments system and TVMOBiLi. The payments system is controlled by our payment partners whereas the TVMOBiLi system is controled by TVMOBiLi Ltd. At present there is no way to 'share' the accounts between these two systems and you will need to click on 'Set Owner' on the top right of the TVMOBiLi WebUI to register.
I've bought a new computer can I transfer my licence?
Of course, the only requirement is that both the old and the new installations are registered see Registering your installation.
Once both installations are registered to yourself, you can log onto to the Watch Page and transfer your licence.
My TV/Media Player can not connect to TVMOBiLi
There are a number of reasons why this can be the case:
- The firewall on your computer is blocking access to port 1900 and/or 30888. Click on the appropriate link for the type of computer you have for information on how to configure the firewall Microsoft Windows / Mac OS/X
- If you computer has more than one active network card (NIC) on the same subnet then this can cause problems with discovery. This often happens where the computer has a both a wired network connection and an active WiFi connection. If this is the case, try disabling the WiFi network interface to see if that improves things.
- Some routers disable the transmission of UPnP data. Check if your router has this capability and if it does, make sure UPnP is enabled.
- Some routers can occasionally and spuriously block the disocvery messages. Try rebooting the router and see if that improves things.
The Plug-ins tab shows missing plugins
We do not support transcoders for:
- Installations running on BSD
- Installations running on PowerPC (PPC) hardware
- Installations running on older versions of linux
If you have this problem but none of the above is applicable then contact us for assistance
This is almost always due to poor network performance and most commonly when streaming over WiFi. If you do experience this problem and you are streaming over WiFi, temporarily wire the connection between your playback device and your computer to see if this fixes the problem. If it does then Ethernet over Powerlines offers a good alternative to WiFi that does not mean you have to run cables around your home.
My Connection Keeps Dropping / TVMOBiLi Becomes Undiscoverable
There are a number of possible solutions to this problem, read our Connection Stability guide to determine which is the best solution for your particular installation.
This is another symptom of poor network performance. Follow the suggestions for Stuttering Playback to see if that solves the problem.
TVMOBiLi No Longer Visible
TVMOBiLi requires 2 ports to be open on your computer's firewall software:
Port 30888 (TCP) Port 1900 (UDP)
Sometimes an upgrade of your Operating System can sometimes shut these ports and they will need re-opening.
It is also possible that another piece of software has been recently installed on your machine that also requires these ports. In this case, the software will gain control of these ports and will make TVMOBiLi invisible.
For Windows installations, a change of router can sometimes set your network settings on your computer to 'Public' ensure that your network settings are set to 'Private'
Frequently Asked Questions
Answers to some of the questions we get most frequently asked can be found in the FAQ